A leading national audit, tax, advisory and risk firm with global reach and local expertise. This company prides itself on looking after their people, whether you’re working in corporate tax, statutory audit or you’re a marketing or HR specialist, they invest in their people to help them be the best they can be.
The Tax team are looking for a Senior Manager to join their exciting and growing department. This is a key role within the Private Client department, where you will be required to provide technical support and excellent client service, managing a portfolio of key clients and be instrumental in helping to grow the business.
Your role will involve taking leadership within the manager team and with team members, and you should be able to successfully deal credibly and professionally with high net worth clients and other professional advisors. As such, excellent technical skills are crucial; equally crucial will be your ability to impart complex tax technical information to non-experts. Part of your role will be to mentor more junior staff and help them to develop their soft skills and provide technical training where needed.
- Review tax returns and computations in conjunction with agreed timescales; ensures the efficient and risk managed delivery of compliance.
- Supporting senior staff on tax planning and other ad hoc projects.
- Build good rapport with clients, manage and meet client expectations.
- Demonstrable technical knowledge in many areas of tax relevant to private clients, including those relating to international clients, property, income tax, capital gains tax, IHT, trusts and estates. In particular a good working knowledge of UK resident and non-domiciled tax matters, including offshore trusts and structures is essential, as is an overall awareness of UK and international taxation developments and legislation.
- Excellent report writing skills, with the ability to tailor the report to the reader, from the wealthy but not financially savvy client, to the experienced and well-read offshore trustee, and everything in between. There is also likely to be a need to produce clear, unambiguous, court-appropriate reports which may be required in financial remedy matters in relation to tax expert witness work on divorce and separation.
- Manage work in progress to ensure recoverability targets can be met and ensure that clients are provided with realistic fee quotes and updated on a regular basis.
- Respond quickly to clients, and anticipate client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress to all aspects of the service provided, and maintaining regular contact.
- Take steps to minimise professional risk, including the appropriate documentation of services provided and consulting with other senior team members and partners to ensure that second opinions are requested and considered and the appropriate review process is adhered to.
- Other ad hoc duties in line with business requirements.
The role would suit an experienced private client tax manager looking to move up to senior manager, or an established senior manager looking for a fresh challenge within a new and progressive environment
- Ability to use own initiative and ensure that the clients’ needs are fully met.
- Display a flexible, professional approach and have the confidence and ability to establish credibility with Partners and clients.
- Ability to manage a small client portfolio, including high net worth individuals.
- CTA qualified with recent and relevant experience. STEP and ADIT qualification would also be helpful.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish and maintain professional working relationships with clients, team members and intermediaries.
- Demonstrate a passion for delivering quality whilst being commercially minded.
- An organised approach and good record keeping skills.
- Maintain in depth, up to date knowledge of taxation.
- Encourage the personal development of all team members
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
You will ideally have experience in advising on a wide range of tax issues which should include the following areas:
- Leading delivery of the compliance with minimal Partner oversight on multiple projects.
- Seen by Partners as a trusted pair of hands.
- Taking responsibility for WIP control and billing and managing client expectations on fees.
- Meeting all deadlines and does not put off difficult tasks.
- Determines and explains roles, sets out expectations and responsibilities, empowers and motivates team members to deliver.
- Advanced understanding of tax matters relating to private clients, many with international interests.
- Known internally and externally for key specialisms. Building profile by speaking, articles etc.
- Confidently interacts with HMRC regarding complex issues on behalf of clients.
- Delivers advice in transactional, litigious or confrontational circumstances.
- Understands Clients’ attitudes to risk and ensures advice is communicated correctly and consistently.
- Working closely with Partners in making clients aware of relevant developments.
- Suggesting bespoke solutions to clients which meet their commercial and personal objectives.
- Recognising that tax advice is not always about technical analysis.
- Building others’ knowledge of the firm.
- Already has established relationships with good quality intermediaries who are in a position to refer work to the individual and capable of building similar new relationships.
- Motivating the team to follow the Firm’s policies and behaviours.
- Able to gain trust and respect of junior staff able to offer support when needed.
- Respected by Partners and other Managers for professional judgement and actively sought for opinion.
- Influences decision making and offers constructive suggestions to resolve operational problems.
- Able to deal with challenging situations and individuals.